Tuesday 26 March 2013

Goodbye Money

I started looking into strollers and the basic baby stuff today and can I just say holy cow! The stuff is so expensive! We think we found the nursery furniture we want, but I started looking at strollers and a cradle or bassinet for the first 3 months. 

First let me rant about bassinets...why are they all so ugly?! I just found that most of them I looked at are frilly and overly patterned and just not my style at all. Plus they are like $200 or more. I'm sure they can be found at a lesser price but most of them are crazy expensive! Especially since the baby is only in it for the first 3 months or so. At least our baby will be in it for the first 3 months while Justin is off work and then get moved into its room and crib when he goes back. Needless to say I think I might be more of a cradle lady

I'm finding it hard to find a stroller that would really fit our needs. Since we live in Williams Lake I would really like something with bigger wheel or that is good in snow in case I want to go for a walk. Very unlikely...but still it would be nice to have something I can easily push from my car to the store if there is snow on the ground. I really like the travel system strollers though, and they often don't come with good wheels for outside. I like getting a matching car seat and stroller and being able to just have one stroller for baby's whole time needing one! 

I am looking for crib bedding too and maybe I am just a diva but I have found maybe 3 that I like. Or maybe I just have a specific idea about what I want it to look like. I don't want bumper pads, so I don't really want to spend extra on a set that comes with them. Also since we are not finding out the gender of our baby I want bedding that is gender neutral. We are getting espresso furniture for the nursery and the walls are green, so something that goes with that as well. 

That is pretty much it for my baby rant. It is the first of many I am sure, but I figured hey isn't this what a blog is for? To get the silly thoughts in my mind out into the world!! Plus if you have any ideas I am more than happy to receive them. 

6 comments:

  1. Um, I pretty much agree with everything you just said haha.

    1. Bassinets ARE ugly. We 'skipped' that. We bought a pack n play that has a top layer to it (they called it a bassinete) and used that for the first few months til we put Noah in a crib. We wanted a pack n play anyways so it covered two necessities.

    2. Strollers are ridiculous. There are all these super fancy name brand ones that charge a fortune and they don't work a whole lot better. That being said I do highly recommend a jogger. We got the Graco trekker orbit in the states for like $150 brand new and that thing is awesome! It works pretty decently in the snow too (better then any 4 wheeler would anyways!) and turns on a dime. It also collapses with one turn of the handle.

    3. Crib bedding is crazy expensive and you don't use most of what comes in the sets. But if you want a cute nursery you pretty much have no other option. Put it on a registry and hope someone gifts it to you haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am not alone!! Ahh pack n play! Brilliant!! I will definitely look into those! Then I can take it when I visit my parents! Woohoo!

    I could care less about a name brand so that makes things a little easier! I will have to look into that stroller!

    I found some online at Walmart...woop woop that I liked for $154, they won't be like Egyptian cotton or anything, but its a baby! They probably won't notice! :D

    Thanks for your help lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH man, it is SO overwhelming when you start! Way too many options and you don't even know why you would need half of the options!

    Pack and Play... definitely a great idea! Or borrow from someone. OR {lol, sorry} take into consideration that all your kids can use it and it makes the cost feel a little less horrid.

    I hear you with the travel system. We bought one for Logan, which was BEFORE all the trendy strollers. The benefits of paying a little more for, say, a Phil and Teds is that it turns into a double {if you plan on having kids close together}.

    Baby bedding is a little funny... you really only NEED a bottom sheet. With Everleigh I hated everything and finally found a pattern to make my own. Brilliant. I got exactly what I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, pack and play with the bassinette feature! It's what we have too.
    I liked the convenience of the travel system, it was a graco, but it broke eventually, which I hear often about them. I couldn't take it off road at all, that's for sure. The wheels wouldn't turn even in some gravel; but granted, they're not meant for it. Thankfully, a lot of the joggers come with car seat adaptor bars now, so you can click in the carseat the same way. The joggers are definitely much more durable. They can be expensive, but you can get them in great condition on Craigslist. There is so much baby stuff in good condition on there. We got a Valco which we can attach a second seat onto which is amazing! It was $700 brand new and we got it for $200 on craigslist. There are brand new joggers that you can get for under $200 though.
    We use a fitted crib sheet.. haha but I admit it doesn't do much for the nursery decor. :)

    - Jenn Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did the pack and play-we are super social and lay our kids down all the time! We use it at least 1-2/week and my kids are 1&2
    We used it as a bassinet as well!

    We bought a used Valco off Craigslist it was like new for a couple hundred and the best investment!

    Opt for a space save high hair-we take ours everywhere. Restaurants, friends houses, camping....and they fold up and are easily store (cough I think baby stuff is ugly so when company comes over I ditch them)

    I found really cute inexpensive sheets at target---then made a quilt. We didnt do bumperpads as there is still 'controversy' over SIDS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ps-baby carrier! Get one that you won't regret. I had an ergo and it was my best friend on fussy days. I would have valued my ergo over air on some days hahaha

    ReplyDelete